Remembering the Fox

  Dave Berkson
Muscle wrestling toys in the eighties were cool little plastic warriors of various colors.  It was based on some Japanese cartoon that was too graphic and neurotic to be aired in America these toys nonetheless became popular in the heyday before the WWF flooded the toy market with their
Products. Kids traded and fought with these toys and I would sometimes paint mine various colors In Contrast to neighbors who burnt them like regular army men toys. Fox was a great wrestler and y favorite muscle character and some five hundred that were created by Kinkuuman Company.
Fox was basically a fox looking alien and in my muscle world as a kid he battled spike helmet and the muscle brothers aliens. These guys had official names as I see now on EBay and other web sites devoted to these toys but having access to Japanese cable and language I just made up my own muscle wrestling world. Fox was a hard character to get and I had a couple stolen from me having to beat Jimmy Watkins at Champaign Junior High School several ties to get Fox back. I loved fox and always had him win my matches with is various rivals . I was able to collect three of these and painted one sliver calling him Silver fox. Apparently Jimmy Watkins or somebody stole these toys again as one holiday upon return from college going through my old toy collection I noticed t as missing in the family garage and my mother insisted she didn't throw them away and my other siblings were long gone from the house.
Fox currently hosts a wrestling talk show and podcast on the internet with Turtle boy of the same series pn the internet talking pop culture and movies. Another blogger has their interviews and I think this talk show will have to make an occasional appearance here too. As far as ma if she or my dad threw them away they were fucking fools as some of these muscle wrestling toys go for hundreds of dollars due to their rarity. For me Silver Fox and the other foxes were ...priceless. I just wish this Japanese cartoon wasn't s bizarre that they could of aired more in America and these Musclemen collector toys really take off as a collector item.

No comments:

Post a Comment