Heart of the City not a good strip despite longevity

Arnold Buckley
  Troy York our editor called me into the office and asked why I haven't had a comic newspaper review or article in a long tie. So here it goes. I am getting bored with comic strips and find graphic novels much more interesting read and appreciate a longer story. However the four panel comic strip is still in newspaper for now and I wonder how many folks even still glance through it. I came across one strip I haven't really seen in local papers and studied it for a while and it just plain sucks. heart of The City by Mark Tatulli will never be Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes. his is a comic strip about kids that just  lacks the cuteness and kid dialogue of many previous strips about children. These kids instead of acting like kids appear to be millennial twenty something brats and indeed if it is about kids living in urban centers then they are most likely children of the privilege. The characters seem to talk much about Hollywood and way into fads of the day. I was surprised that this strip has been around since 1997. The artist tries to do a female version of Calvin but having a girl act neurotic and eccentric in print really is nauseating and can explain why this strip is hardly beloved or popular. Who wants to follow a strip that basically is of a spoiled rich thinking centric little girl. Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment