The Time Wimpy tried to eat a Right Bull tail

Arnold Buckley
   For some reason there are new massive books of the old Popeye comic strip that is at the few book stores in business. The guess is that there are publishers that actually think there is a market for people to purchase old Popeye comic collections from the thirties in a massive collection like a foot and a half books in size.
In one of these collections I saw the usual ham and egger comedy that was part of these strips and evidently had a following. I don't know maybe in the thirties the idea of a character so in love with hamburgers like Wimpy was actually amusing. in this strip Wimpy is so hungry he attacks a Right Bull and starts eating its tail while it is still alive. hilarious brilliant idea of sketch comedy and drawing I guess for the depression era. This could be why the public was so dam depressed is they and nothing of real entertainment and had to open up the Sunday funnies to material like Popeye and Wimpy
  I am really amazed that these books would be published in print as I didn't seem to notice there was any clamoring for Popeye collectable books reprinting every strip year by year of this voluminous set. This is pretty insane and only the most neurotic and eccentric Popeye fan would want these books. I don't think Popeye really warrants this type of series but hey what do I know. I am just a comic book and cartoon expert here at the Left Shark. next time Wimpy goes fishing and captures a actual left shark and we will dissect this bit like a frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment