The ride through Iriving Park Road and traffic hell

  Alex Mouslopolous
  Growing up in Champaign county is far away from the miles of urban dense streets that make up the Chicago  region. I once decided to give a champaign native a glimpse of this ridiculous landscape to a rural bigs hot who was ready to get dout of the hick hinterlands of the cornfields of U of I and into a big city as a day trader scammer. I picked up Dave Berkson from downtown Chicagon after another unsuccessful   interview to some trading company of soybeans. I drove him back to Roselle for a private airplane back home to his parents ime in Champaign. I always wanted to take one of these rides from small airports and decided to surprise my college classmate instead of the long drive home on 57 like I promised. Dave Berkson
   I would give him a ride through Chicago hell though in rush hour. Irving park Oad goes through light aft light and can take upwards of two hours from the lake to the Itasca Inn bar and Roselle airport. Knowing this ride sucks I wanted to share this with someone who had no fucking idea what he was about to expect. Berkson itched like a little baby within half an hour. He could to Elsie how many cars and tragic lights there was on a four o'clock in Chicago. The ride became more painful from a dude whose daily commute to a job from Champaign to Urbana was like five minutes. After the first our I think we finally reached Cicero Avenue and when he saw the six corners he really got street sick. He thought he was finally rid of that awful Irving Park when I turned on Milwaukee butI just stopped to get some quick coffee. The ride from hell would continue. I tried to give his mind distracted and I brought up his favorite topics of the Cubs and Dr Jamal Nassar. We had passed Wrigley Field and we were tempted to catch a game but then I told him I had Quicker way to get home of my treat. Then we started talking about Dr Jamal Nassar and he can get over a half hour talking about this Illinois State professor he so loathed foaming and spitting out of mouth of his disdain of this Middle East expert. When we it Schiller Park he thought the trip was nearing as we were clearly out of the city although the streets were still choked. H had hopes when he saw O'Hare airport but I told him this was the major airport and we stil and quit a length to travel to get to the other smaller airport. He remembered that there are o flights from O'Hare to Champaign. He nearly got sick and walked out of the automobile going through Bensenville and Wood Dale. He was getting edgey after an hour and half and we decided to get him a frosty at Wendy's to control his neurotic ass. The trip still had to go through some more miles and traffic continued to be choked on this Friday. We crept through Itasca and Ilooked as hour number two of when we left downtown approached. There was some accident and we waited a while in Itasca and pointed out there was the Itasca Inn where Baxter worked as bartender. We finally got to Oselle and had a bit to go to the Schaumburg airport. I didn't want him to actually know how far the airport was so I never mentioned the actual name of the airport. I think he would have an Ida how far Schaumburg was from Chicago. thus we took a airplane downto Champaign Illinoisin much shorter time to make the Irving park road rush hour travel and Berkson never accepted an offer of free drive ome whenever he interviewed in Chicago again back in the nineties. That ride throughIrving Park Road was just the worse and perhaps a r Eason he ditched the automobile upon moving to Brooklyn years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment